SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!- Jurassic World


Okay, I know it's a bit early in the week for my Spotlight, but this is more of a special notice. I'm not reviewing, but I will be giving out a few of my thoughts on the matter while we're here.
As a Jurassic Park fan, I've been following this movie's development for a good year or two now. There were rough times, sure, but I always retained a sliver of hope that it would be better than the last two films. So, naturally, you can understand my excitement when we finally get a full-length trailer. I looked it over, and I'm still stoked to see it. There are certainly a few elements I'm not sure about, but- on the whole- it looks like the Jurassic Park movie the first one set the series up to be.
First, we get our first good looks at the Park in full operation. This is especially promising since, while half of the films were dedicated to people running from dinosaurs, the other and possibly more important half was spent on the wonder the park instilled. Even if it was all about how it couldn't possibly have worked, it's nice to see a look at Hammond's dream (and our's) fully realized. The safari with the Apatosaurus and the Gallimimus, the river rafting trip with the stegosaurs, and the Mosasaur feeding; it all makes that little nine-year-old inside you all squeal. Granted, it doesn't look quite as fully-rendered as some of the other blockbusters out there, but they have seven months to add their final touches. It's impressing, either way.
Naturally, the second half of the trailer is dedicated to seeing everything go down. From what it looks like, the horror in this film is going to play quite a bit off of the style of the first two. At the same time, though, it looks like it's treading some more unique ground. For example, the last shot before the title card reminded me very much of the kitchen scene from the first movie, but the rest of the trailer focused so much on their hybrid species. It could very well be that, particularly if they wanted to make something different. It could all be on the verge of something iconic (Chris Pratt leading the raptor pack, anyone?) and I'm interested to see how it turns out.
It is a little refreshing to see some of the substance return from the franchise's roots. As usual, we're shown themes of Family and Don't-mess-with-Nature being very prevalent. What's really on my mind right now- and I'm sure it's on everyone's- is the new hybrid dinosaur they're bringing out. On one hand, the other movies, as great and terrible as they were, never had to make something up to scare the audience. The Spinosaurus existed, T. rex was real, and the Velociraptors were found in museums before the screen. It could be a bit of a step backwards making up your own monsters just for the sake of having them fight real ones. Of course, it could also fit nicely into the Don't-mess-with-nature theme of the others. If they play it right, the movie at the very least will be decent.
This trailer has really given me a whole lot to say about the film and the franchise as a whole. Is it going to be great? I don't know, but it does a good job of getting my hopes up. Considering that this is from Legendary Pictures, the same guys who made Pacific Rim and Godzilla, it's likely in good hands. If you have any thoughts, please let us know in the comments section.
June 12th isn't coming fast enough!

All rights owned 2014 by Legendary Pictures. No infringement intended

Comments

Read Next