Edge of Shadow: Remastered


Wow. A remaster all the way back from 2011. You must be running the well pretty dry by now, Wheja.

Maybe so, but a lot has changed since 2011. The site has gotten bigger, we have more tools available, we've learned a great deal about anatomy and composition, and our perspective on art and storytelling has changed a great deal. Six years ago, I thought pretty highly of my art. A random sophomore who didn't even own a proper drawing tablet said he knew enough about the rules to try and bend them into something that ended up being really pretentious and, overall, not very good. After all this time, I wouldn't even call the update a "great" piece, but now I know a lot more about what is supposed to make it work. An artist's career is almost entirely built on how well it can walk the line between knowing how far it can go and imagining where it could be.
That's why learning as much as we can about what we love (and maybe what we don't) is so important.

Rendered in Photoshop

*I'd also like to take the time to make two big announcements.
First off, I'm back in college and am still pursuing a degree in physics. As far as I know, this will not interfere with the regularity of my posting any more than breaking my tablet did, so keep watching!
Also, I no longer have a broken tablet to work with! This piece was the first one created using a Wacom Intuos Graphics Tablet. So far, it's working out really well, being so much more sensitive and functional than my previous toolkit. If anything, we should be back to full strength in no time!
*Knock on wood*

Comments

Read Next