Glacial Diredrake

I noticed that I drew a lot of dinosaurs and dragons for my Creature Cabals, so I figured I should get all those out of my system before October to allow some more original designs.
Anyway, this is a Diredrake, a subset of giant reptile known for its more wolf-like features. This particular breed dwells in the far north, where its bulk proves to be an advantage in the frigid climate. They live in relative solitude in the dark caves. These lairs are where they base their sleep, stake hunts, store food, and often die.
They are one of the few wild animals that ever die of old age.
However, experts are still urging protection for this creature, as the harsh conditions they live in make reproduction a massive undertaking.  The best estimates give the Glacial Diredrake two or three clutches of eggs every year, meaning fifteen or so new members annually. There are luckily enough Ice Caves to sustain the population, but they rarely ever meet. When they do, it's normally between to members of the same gender, and this leads to calamitous confrontations. As of now, the future of the species is uncertain.

Drawn in Graphite, rendered in Photoshop

Comments

Read Next