Ancient Doorway


Thank you all for enduring the longest hiatus this site has been through up to this point.
I apologize- as it turns out, I wasn't quite through my burnout yet. I wasn't intentionally trying to take time off; it just happened while I was trying to paint and couldn't think of anything. While that was happening, a huge mess of major events happened around the world. In my home country, high school students across the states organized a massive protest aiming to reinforce our gun laws to make their lives safer. I missed Women's day, Black History month, Pi Day, and other important events commemorating our achievements in history. On Wednesday last week, we even lost one of the greatest contributors to our understanding of science, Steven Hawking, Ph.D. In the midst of such turmoil, I was starting to feel like I was losing my place.
After a while, I just had to realize that the importance of something wasn't necessarily determined by what everyone else thought was important, but what I valued. I've heard that quite a few times in my life, but it was really the last week that taught me what that meant. There will always be people telling you what is possible and what you can't do, but in the end, only you can fight for what you want. If that means you're alone in your fight, then so be it. Doing what everyone wants you to do doesn't make the world a better place- passion and action towards your own hopes do.
As for my schedule now, I'm still not sure how consistent I can keep my posts. I'll still aim for once or twice a week, but I think I got to the core of my problem. I was spending so much time trying to make everything ornate and animated and better than the last image I posted. I almost forgot that I was really doing this to tell interesting stories, entertain some neat science and fantasy concepts, and have fun doing it. So now, the quality of my work may be all over the place, from simple sketches to (hopefully) full-fledged animations and games, but know that it's all to keep me sane. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get something good out of it.

Rendered in Photoshop, textures from Google

Comments

Read Next